Dental implants replace missing teeth and restore your smile. Dentist Dr. Shanean Anderson of Wake Forest, NC, provide their patients with dental implants.
Here's some more information you may want to know before visiting your doctor.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants replace missing teeth and, unlike other procedures, it replaces missing tooth roots as well. This advantage prevents serious issues like bone atrophy due to reduced stimulation.
What do dental implants consist of?
Dental implants consist of three parts:
- A fixture, which is implanted directly into the jawbone after your Wake Forest dentist drills a place for it in your jaw to fuse with the rest of the bone.
- An abutment, which connects the fixture to the prosthetic
- A prosthetic, which is custom-made porcelain bridge, crown, or denture that fits over the fixture to fix the visible gap in your teeth.
How can I benefit from dental implants?
Dental implants have many advantages beyond improvement of dental aesthetics.
Dental implants do the following:
- Restore alignment of your jaw to prevent conditions such as TMJ.
- Dental implants are permanent and last a lifetime as long as you take proper care of them.
- They prevent teeth surrounding a dental gap from shifting and moving out of place.
- Dental implants replace one tooth, several teeth, or an entire arch.
- Fill gaps to ease eating, biting, and chewing.
- Implants prevent bone deterioration, which can cause facial sagging.
What types of dental implants exist?
Depending on where the gaps in your smiles lie, your dentist may use one type of implant in conjunction with another.
- Single implants replace a single dental gap that stands alone.
- Multiple tooth gaps use a bridge to conceal gaps and implants are placed on either side of the gap to keep the bridge in place.
- Implant-supported dentures use implants to anchor an entire arch of teeth.
Are you interested in dental implants from your Wake Forest, NC, dentist? Would you like to know if you're a candidate for the procedure? If so, call us today at (919) 825-1795 to learn more!